A very favorable price of fuel, as for LPG, is the main reason for conversion to CNG. If you consider that the price of gasoline and diesel are close to 40 CZK per liter, while the price of CNG is holding around 26 CZK / kg, equivalent to 18.5 CZK / m3 - which is the equivalent of 1 liter of petrol. This leads to significant savings in finance. Vehicles adapted with CNG are able to ride with cost about 1 CZK / km.
What is CNG
CNG / BioCNG (compressed natural gas) is natural gas or biomethane (natural gas produced from renewable energy sources or waste) usually compressed to 200 bar min. The tanks of vehicles in gaseous form, is lighter than air, therefore in the event of occurs leakage spontaneous ventilation. In its combustion emissions are produced significantly lower than gasoline or diesel and are also tens of percent lower than LPG.
The benefits of conversion to CNG
- High savings of 60% compared to gasoline, 40% diesel
- Consistent quality gas equivalent of 130 octane number positively influences quiet engine operation
- noise reduction up to 40% outside the vehicle
- noise reduction up to 60% inside the vehicle
- Environmentally friendly vehicle operation
- no adding of carcinogenic additives to natural gas
- exhaust gases don't contain sulfur dioxide
- reduction of CO2 emissions by 20-25%
- Possibility of producing BioCNG from waste (sewage, landfills) and from renewable resources (corn, grass)
- Fuel theft impossible
- Increased security - a secure way to store fuel in rugged pressure tanks equipped with special multifunction valves
- Smaller network of filling stations - about 63 stations (annual increase of about 10 new filling stations)
- More expensive than LPG conversion, due to pressure bottles
- Thin service network
- Shorter the estimated range about 200-250 km
Currently there are about 20 million vehicles equipped with CNG in the world. Closer look on European countries where on top positions is Italy with 746,000 vehicles with CNG.
The following graphs show development of CNG vehicles in the Czech Republic and number of filling stations.